We don’t know how North American crayfish hopped the pond, but scientists have announced that crayfish are proliferating in the Netherlands, Denmark, and Spain — and destroying salamanders and other amphibians in the process. Humans in Europe haven’t yet developed a taste for crayfish, so there is no natural predator of the invaders. Story here. This is ironic since in America we can’t get enough of crayfish, or crawfish, as we celebrate Mardi Gras.
Why This Blog?Amphibians are our planet's canaries in the coal mine. They face the most significant mass extinction since the dinosaurs. The main reason they will disappear is because we will choose to allow it. You can be one of the people who stops it. Visit www.amphibianark.org. Learn. Donate. And tell others about it.
- 314,358 hits
- RT @ussoccer_wnt: They call him #Electrifying, #PeoplesChamp, a #Baller--he calls the #USWNT inspiring. WATCH! @TheRock is FIRED UP! https:… 1 day ago
- You heard it here 1st: @StengerSTLCo can drive a 4th July parade golf cart AND wave to crowd at same time #multitasker #impressed 2 days ago
- Flags, veterans, marching band, tats, Corvettes, politicians, vapors, Masons -- that's the parade report so far #webstergroves4th 2 days ago
- Standing at all the moments in Webster parade that you would be standing @Big67mo #IndependenceDay 2 days ago
- @clairecmc @RoyBlunt please #renew911health twitter.com/Renew911health… 2 days ago