We don’t know how North American crayfish hopped the pond, but scientists have announced that crayfish are proliferating in the Netherlands, Denmark, and Spain — and destroying salamanders and other amphibians in the process. Humans in Europe haven’t yet developed a taste for crayfish, so there is no natural predator of the invaders. Story here. This is ironic since in America we can’t get enough of crayfish, or crawfish, as we celebrate Mardi Gras.
Why This Blog?Amphibians are our planet's canaries in the coal mine. They face the most significant mass extinction since the dinosaurs. The main reason they will disappear is because we will choose to allow it. You can be one of the people who stops it. Visit www.amphibianark.org. Learn. Donate. And tell others about it.
- 323,984 hits
- Donald Trump calls for a Clinton special prosecutor. Ken Starr newly unemployed. #notmakingthisup 21 hours ago
- Denmark has figured out how to teach kids empathy and make them happier adults qz.com/763289 via @qz 1 day ago
- RT @justsitthere: If you run out of hope at the end of the day … rise in the morning and put it on again with your shoes. 1 day ago
- Insightful essay on structural racism from a white Jewish-American whose sons and wife are black Americans nyti.ms/2bqMmT9 1 day ago
- RT @tonymess: For background, my column on the original #VotingRightsAct trial: stltoday.com/news/local/col… twitter.com/aclu_mo/status… 1 day ago