We don’t know how North American crayfish hopped the pond, but scientists have announced that crayfish are proliferating in the Netherlands, Denmark, and Spain — and destroying salamanders and other amphibians in the process. Humans in Europe haven’t yet developed a taste for crayfish, so there is no natural predator of the invaders. Story here. This is ironic since in America we can’t get enough of crayfish, or crawfish, as we celebrate Mardi Gras.
Why This Blog?Amphibians are our planet's canaries in the coal mine. They face the most significant mass extinction since the dinosaurs. The main reason they will disappear is because we will choose to allow it. You can be one of the people who stops it. Visit www.amphibianark.org. Learn. Donate. And tell others about it.
- 310,282 hits
- RT @mashable: Frozen hair competition gives a purpose to bleak winter weather on.mash.to/1zRNvFc http://t.co/8qka7HxNOt 4 hours ago
- RT @SteaknShake: Panic at the Frisco #FoodieBandNames 2 days ago
- RT @ErinE: PR firms at a make-or-break moment on content creation flip.it/t90LP 5 days ago
- @JDandKateCorp Thanks for the guffaws. I say guffaws because it is more masculine than saying giggles. 6 days ago
- The web site of a coworker who shouldn't be this funny: bit.ly/1AAfiyC 6 days ago