We don’t know how North American crayfish hopped the pond, but scientists have announced that crayfish are proliferating in the Netherlands, Denmark, and Spain — and destroying salamanders and other amphibians in the process. Humans in Europe haven’t yet developed a taste for crayfish, so there is no natural predator of the invaders. Story here. This is ironic since in America we can’t get enough of crayfish, or crawfish, as we celebrate Mardi Gras.
Why This Blog?Amphibians are our planet's canaries in the coal mine. They face the most significant mass extinction since the dinosaurs. The main reason they will disappear is because we will choose to allow it. You can be one of the people who stops it. Visit www.amphibianark.org. Learn. Donate. And tell others about it.
- 296,742 hits
- Frogs can keep us from croaking -- good medical research summary
- Frogster video game asks the question, why would the frog ever want to cross the road?
- Serious cartoon about frog crisis
- If frogs go extinct, you'll notice
- Lungless frog: "A squished version of Jabba the Hutt" that has reversed evolution
- Very enjoyable workshop. 25 communicators all discussing #DumbWaysToDie #magneticideas 1 day ago
- #magneticideas Dive in art http://t.co/hBeIwa75Zl 1 day ago
- Making me look good intentionally. Check's in the mail. Thanks @ehubby 1 day ago
- If you don't have a brief, the client will go all boxer on your @$$ #boxersorbriefs #magneticideas 1 day ago
- @armatoj thanks for a great workshop which is rolling into day 2 with big mo #magneticideas 1 day ago