We don’t know how North American crayfish hopped the pond, but scientists have announced that crayfish are proliferating in the Netherlands, Denmark, and Spain — and destroying salamanders and other amphibians in the process. Humans in Europe haven’t yet developed a taste for crayfish, so there is no natural predator of the invaders. Story here. This is ironic since in America we can’t get enough of crayfish, or crawfish, as we celebrate Mardi Gras.
Why This Blog?Amphibians are our planet's canaries in the coal mine. They face the most significant mass extinction since the dinosaurs. The main reason they will disappear is because we will choose to allow it. You can be one of the people who stops it. Visit www.amphibianark.org. Learn. Donate. And tell others about it.
- 323,021 hits
- Pls change the channel: Brexit. 1000-yr flood in W VA. SoCal ablaze. Parrot is key witness in murder trial.Can't make this up 2 days ago
- Why do I like Man on Fire so? Go Denzel 3 days ago
- RT @adage: See all the #CannesLions Grand Prix winners #AACannes bit.ly/28RsgzH https://t.co/0Gka6qgEEK 4 days ago
- @BrewMaster314 Sooo relieved to have made it to dawn 6 days ago
- Hmmm. Forgiving other people is good for your health ti.me/1ZU1BVA via @TIMEHealth 1 week ago