We don’t know how North American crayfish hopped the pond, but scientists have announced that crayfish are proliferating in the Netherlands, Denmark, and Spain — and destroying salamanders and other amphibians in the process. Humans in Europe haven’t yet developed a taste for crayfish, so there is no natural predator of the invaders. Story here. This is ironic since in America we can’t get enough of crayfish, or crawfish, as we celebrate Mardi Gras.
Why This Blog?Amphibians are our planet's canaries in the coal mine. They face the most significant mass extinction since the dinosaurs. The main reason they will disappear is because we will choose to allow it. You can be one of the people who stops it. Visit www.amphibianark.org. Learn. Donate. And tell others about it.
- 312,363 hits
- The unstoppable rise of social media as a source for news qz.com/388418 via @qz 22 hours ago
- @BrockThatcher And we both know it's what repelled you from STL 3 days ago
- I knew this was holding me back nymag.com/thecut/2015/04… #cursemygoodlooks 3 days ago
- Proud twitter.com/Fleishman/stat… 5 days ago
- Every old school website is asking, What was Google smoking yesterday? twitter.com/TheEconomist/s… 6 days ago