We don’t know how North American crayfish hopped the pond, but scientists have announced that crayfish are proliferating in the Netherlands, Denmark, and Spain — and destroying salamanders and other amphibians in the process. Humans in Europe haven’t yet developed a taste for crayfish, so there is no natural predator of the invaders. Story here. This is ironic since in America we can’t get enough of crayfish, or crawfish, as we celebrate Mardi Gras.
Why This Blog?Amphibians are our planet's canaries in the coal mine. They face the most significant mass extinction since the dinosaurs. The main reason they will disappear is because we will choose to allow it. You can be one of the people who stops it. Visit www.amphibianark.org. Learn. Donate. And tell others about it.
- 319,335 hits
- RT @NCAA: Congrats to Harry Statham of @McKBearcats on passing Pat Summitt for most wins in 4-year college basketball history! https://t.co… 5 days ago
- Your brand can’t make news? O’Reilly explains. (Replace "campaigning" with mktg, "politician" w/ brand) From 1:00 mm4a.org/1SqjBVG 1 week ago
- @thedailybeast a couple of students talking about it doesn't make it problematic for the whole school 1 week ago
- Social Media: Destroyer or Creator? nyti.ms/1R0Yh9h 1 week ago
- .@potus visits a mosque, just one of many moves that history will remember with appreciation latimes.com/nation/la-na-o… 1 week ago