We don’t know how North American crayfish hopped the pond, but scientists have announced that crayfish are proliferating in the Netherlands, Denmark, and Spain — and destroying salamanders and other amphibians in the process. Humans in Europe haven’t yet developed a taste for crayfish, so there is no natural predator of the invaders. Story here. This is ironic since in America we can’t get enough of crayfish, or crawfish, as we celebrate Mardi Gras.
Why This Blog?Amphibians are our planet's canaries in the coal mine. They face the most significant mass extinction since the dinosaurs. The main reason they will disappear is because we will choose to allow it. You can be one of the people who stops it. Visit www.amphibianark.org. Learn. Donate. And tell others about it.
- 312,252 hits
- Frogster video game asks the question, why would the frog ever want to cross the road?
- Serious cartoon about frog crisis
- Lungless frog: "A squished version of Jabba the Hutt" that has reversed evolution
- First of five reasons frogs are going extinct: chytrid
- Wetlands shrink, frog species living in them also shrinking
- @BrockThatcher And we both know it's what repelled you from STL 1 day ago
- I knew this was holding me back nymag.com/thecut/2015/04… #cursemygoodlooks 1 day ago
- Proud twitter.com/Fleishman/stat… 3 days ago
- Every old school website is asking, What was Google smoking yesterday? twitter.com/TheEconomist/s… 4 days ago
- RT On Time-Lapse Rocket Ride to Trade Center’s Top, Glimpse of Doomed Tower nyti.ms/1H4TgIr 4 days ago