We don’t know how North American crayfish hopped the pond, but scientists have announced that crayfish are proliferating in the Netherlands, Denmark, and Spain — and destroying salamanders and other amphibians in the process. Humans in Europe haven’t yet developed a taste for crayfish, so there is no natural predator of the invaders. Story here. This is ironic since in America we can’t get enough of crayfish, or crawfish, as we celebrate Mardi Gras.
Why This Blog?Amphibians are our planet's canaries in the coal mine. They face the most significant mass extinction since the dinosaurs. The main reason they will disappear is because we will choose to allow it. You can be one of the people who stops it. Visit www.amphibianark.org. Learn. Donate. And tell others about it.
- 323,492 hits
- RT @Andy: Very moved by the #MothersoftheMovement #BlackLivesMatter 12 hours ago
- That's what we call #whackatroll on.mash.to/2a7bOLY 13 hours ago
- I had a feeling I was being toyed with: Marketers Know Their Review Briefs Are Vague and Demands Steep adage.com/article/agency… 23 hours ago
- .@NYTimes interactive shows milestones in politics for women and minorities nyti.ms/29UyLEK 1 day ago
- May we never lose our outrage when racists claim legitimacy. twitter.com/businessinside… 4 days ago