We don’t know how North American crayfish hopped the pond, but scientists have announced that crayfish are proliferating in the Netherlands, Denmark, and Spain — and destroying salamanders and other amphibians in the process. Humans in Europe haven’t yet developed a taste for crayfish, so there is no natural predator of the invaders. Story here. This is ironic since in America we can’t get enough of crayfish, or crawfish, as we celebrate Mardi Gras.
Why This Blog?Amphibians are our planet's canaries in the coal mine. They face the most significant mass extinction since the dinosaurs. The main reason they will disappear is because we will choose to allow it. You can be one of the people who stops it. Visit www.amphibianark.org. Learn. Donate. And tell others about it.
- 317,527 hits
- @stephelisecarls @eiu she is such a good speaker 2 days ago
- RT @MayorSlay: I have asked my staff to reassure all of our partners that the City will welcome refugees from Syria's violence. #fgs 1 week ago
- #HappierHolidaysIn3Words Public shaming truce 2 weeks ago
- Power of a recommendation: Tesla stock dropped 10% after Consumer Reports lowered its rating usatoday.com/story/money/ca… #wordofmouth 1 month ago
- RT @SteaknShake: Do you accept the infamous 7x7 Steakburger challenge? #NationalCheeseburgerDay http://t.co/Rj60OFmWY0 2 months ago