We don’t know how North American crayfish hopped the pond, but scientists have announced that crayfish are proliferating in the Netherlands, Denmark, and Spain — and destroying salamanders and other amphibians in the process. Humans in Europe haven’t yet developed a taste for crayfish, so there is no natural predator of the invaders. Story here. This is ironic since in America we can’t get enough of crayfish, or crawfish, as we celebrate Mardi Gras.
Why This Blog?Amphibians are our planet's canaries in the coal mine. They face the most significant mass extinction since the dinosaurs. The main reason they will disappear is because we will choose to allow it. You can be one of the people who stops it. Visit www.amphibianark.org. Learn. Donate. And tell others about it.
- 321,654 hits
- RT @SenSanders: We must overturn Citizens United so that elections are truly decided by one-person, one-vote, and not by a small number of… 3 days ago
- There used to be robin eggs here @ Webster Groves, Missouri instagram.com/p/BEuTM0Dsplpb… 3 days ago
- How mosquitoes inject a numbing agent, then suck your blood. Gross and scary, via @HuffPostScience huff.to/1pEUm78 3 days ago
- The schedule of a 1st time Congressional rep. "Call time" = fundraising. Shameful. #CitizensUnited https://t.co/SaHR0aLD9L 6 days ago
- New Congress reps "dial for dollars" 30 hrs a week instead of running the country. #CitizensUnited made it worse. From .@60Minutes 6 days ago