We don’t know how North American crayfish hopped the pond, but scientists have announced that crayfish are proliferating in the Netherlands, Denmark, and Spain — and destroying salamanders and other amphibians in the process. Humans in Europe haven’t yet developed a taste for crayfish, so there is no natural predator of the invaders. Story here. This is ironic since in America we can’t get enough of crayfish, or crawfish, as we celebrate Mardi Gras.
Why This Blog?Amphibians are our planet's canaries in the coal mine. They face the most significant mass extinction since the dinosaurs. The main reason they will disappear is because we will choose to allow it. You can be one of the people who stops it. Visit www.amphibianark.org. Learn. Donate. And tell others about it.
- 325,054 hits
- @REK100 where's wired Waldo 1 day ago
- This just in: @PeaceUCCSTL pastor interviews a church https://t.co/hbKKEJKQnI 1 day ago
- I bet Hillary and the Donald would agree on a frozen concrete @andy twitter.com/Andy/status/78… 2 days ago
- Seriously thanks to @tzagora and @jackiejanus 3 days ago
- No coincidence that @oaksaidit is visiting today 3 days ago