We don’t know how North American crayfish hopped the pond, but scientists have announced that crayfish are proliferating in the Netherlands, Denmark, and Spain — and destroying salamanders and other amphibians in the process. Humans in Europe haven’t yet developed a taste for crayfish, so there is no natural predator of the invaders. Story here. This is ironic since in America we can’t get enough of crayfish, or crawfish, as we celebrate Mardi Gras.
Why This Blog?Amphibians are our planet's canaries in the coal mine. They face the most significant mass extinction since the dinosaurs. The main reason they will disappear is because we will choose to allow it. You can be one of the people who stops it. Visit www.amphibianark.org. Learn. Donate. And tell others about it.
- 306,086 hits
- RT @tonymess: Lately, I find myself mostly praying for empathy, for people of disparate backgrounds to try to understand another's pain. #F… 17 hours ago
- @klface And thanks!!!! 17 hours ago
- @jasongmichael I will seriously consider it 17 hours ago
- I pity the follicle who won't support my @Fleishman #Movember team. us.movember.com/mospace/112481… http://t.co/t1wUEtQyxj 17 hours ago
- Sorry @nytimes Gooey butter cake isn't on Missouri Thanksgiving tables.Anybody disagree? nyti.ms/1r5abyt http://t.co/YNMC8GuTZI 23 hours ago