We don’t know how North American crayfish hopped the pond, but scientists have announced that crayfish are proliferating in the Netherlands, Denmark, and Spain — and destroying salamanders and other amphibians in the process. Humans in Europe haven’t yet developed a taste for crayfish, so there is no natural predator of the invaders. Story here. This is ironic since in America we can’t get enough of crayfish, or crawfish, as we celebrate Mardi Gras.
Why This Blog?Amphibians are our planet's canaries in the coal mine. They face the most significant mass extinction since the dinosaurs. The main reason they will disappear is because we will choose to allow it. You can be one of the people who stops it. Visit www.amphibianark.org. Learn. Donate. And tell others about it.
- 303,316 hits
- Frogster video game asks the question, why would the frog ever want to cross the road?
- Lungless frog: "A squished version of Jabba the Hutt" that has reversed evolution
- Sign new petition to save Northern Red-Legged Frog habitat in Canada
- Three new caecilian species found in India
- Why frogs matter #4: Frogs and mosquitoes
- RT @jeffrainford: More than half of the just graduated @slmpd class is African American. Our police are among the best, and are part of th… 3 days ago
- RT @ReverendStarsky: Jon Stewart Goes After Fox in Powerful Ferguson Monologue youtube.com/watch?v=eUi2A6… via @youtube 4 days ago
- #Ferguson the biggest social media-fueled story since the Arab Spring #NYT nyti.ms/1oTT9Ro 2 weeks ago
- Love STL but hate to be the new notorious center of.the Twitterverse srogers.cartodb.com/viz/4a5eb582-2… 2 weeks ago
- RT @CraigDaitch: Incredible global visualization showing twitter explode over #Ferguson bit.ly/1oNEIOM 2 weeks ago