We don’t know how North American crayfish hopped the pond, but scientists have announced that crayfish are proliferating in the Netherlands, Denmark, and Spain — and destroying salamanders and other amphibians in the process. Humans in Europe haven’t yet developed a taste for crayfish, so there is no natural predator of the invaders. Story here. This is ironic since in America we can’t get enough of crayfish, or crawfish, as we celebrate Mardi Gras.
Why This Blog?Amphibians are our planet's canaries in the coal mine. They face the most significant mass extinction since the dinosaurs. The main reason they will disappear is because we will choose to allow it. You can be one of the people who stops it. Visit www.amphibianark.org. Learn. Donate. And tell others about it.
- 303,966 hits
- Frogs can keep us from croaking -- good medical research summary
- First of five reasons frogs are going extinct: chytrid
- Frogster video game asks the question, why would the frog ever want to cross the road?
- Why frogs matter #4: Frogs and mosquitoes
- Conservation International's "Hotspots" is a bright spot in uphill climb to engage a world in financial crisis
- @JH70 You are the master of organization #GECACT sincerely, @stephanie and @MKHirner 2 weeks ago
- RT @jeffrainford: More than half of the just graduated @slmpd class is African American. Our police are among the best, and are part of th… 3 weeks ago
- RT @ReverendStarsky: Jon Stewart Goes After Fox in Powerful Ferguson Monologue youtube.com/watch?v=eUi2A6… via @youtube 3 weeks ago
- #Ferguson the biggest social media-fueled story since the Arab Spring #NYT nyti.ms/1oTT9Ro 1 month ago
- Love STL but hate to be the new notorious center of.the Twitterverse srogers.cartodb.com/viz/4a5eb582-2… 1 month ago