We don’t know how North American crayfish hopped the pond, but scientists have announced that crayfish are proliferating in the Netherlands, Denmark, and Spain — and destroying salamanders and other amphibians in the process. Humans in Europe haven’t yet developed a taste for crayfish, so there is no natural predator of the invaders. Story here. This is ironic since in America we can’t get enough of crayfish, or crawfish, as we celebrate Mardi Gras.
Why This Blog?Amphibians are our planet's canaries in the coal mine. They face the most significant mass extinction since the dinosaurs. The main reason they will disappear is because we will choose to allow it. You can be one of the people who stops it. Visit www.amphibianark.org. Learn. Donate. And tell others about it.
- 305,337 hits
- RT @abyrdjr: You'd be smiling too if $400k was raised last night to help the kids in East St. Louis. Love JJK http://t.co/7itscrHb5G 8 hours ago
- RT @TefPoe: I'm not saying vote republican I'm saying stop blindly voting Democratic yes my opinions are extreme ..Ferguson was an extreme … 9 hours ago
- RT @ReverendStarsky: Superman's not coming, so look for a phone booth near you. - @HotepTNT 9 hours ago
- Deaconess Awards $500,000 to Local Children’s Hospitals | Deaconess Foundation deaconess.org/deaconess-awar… 12 hours ago
- Favorite holiday commercial and it's not Halloween yet. Directed by Sofia Coppola. youtube.com/watch?v=0ZKgQd… 1 day ago