We don’t know how North American crayfish hopped the pond, but scientists have announced that crayfish are proliferating in the Netherlands, Denmark, and Spain — and destroying salamanders and other amphibians in the process. Humans in Europe haven’t yet developed a taste for crayfish, so there is no natural predator of the invaders. Story here. This is ironic since in America we can’t get enough of crayfish, or crawfish, as we celebrate Mardi Gras.
Why This Blog?Amphibians are our planet's canaries in the coal mine. They face the most significant mass extinction since the dinosaurs. The main reason they will disappear is because we will choose to allow it. You can be one of the people who stops it. Visit www.amphibianark.org. Learn. Donate. And tell others about it.
- 284,721 hits
- Lungless frog: "A squished version of Jabba the Hutt" that has reversed evolution
- Frogster video game asks the question, why would the frog ever want to cross the road?
- Frogs can keep us from croaking -- good medical research summary
- Where most endangered amphibian species struggle to survive
- First of five reasons frogs are going extinct: chytrid
- @MeredithA One of those JSchoolers in the seats is my kid @caitdavis16 She is HK bound and your speech felt like it was just for her 3 days ago
- @caitdavis16 is Commencing! #proudpapa http://t.co/TDbWGN4zDB 3 days ago
- Growing old ain't for no sissies. You say this sometimes, but mom you are grace personified. #NPRMOMS 1 week ago
- @BethWardPR Missin you in St. Lou. Thx for all u do 2 weeks ago
- @TheAdamMallette Thanks. I needed that 2 months ago