We don’t know how North American crayfish hopped the pond, but scientists have announced that crayfish are proliferating in the Netherlands, Denmark, and Spain — and destroying salamanders and other amphibians in the process. Humans in Europe haven’t yet developed a taste for crayfish, so there is no natural predator of the invaders. Story here. This is ironic since in America we can’t get enough of crayfish, or crawfish, as we celebrate Mardi Gras.
Why This Blog?Amphibians are our planet's canaries in the coal mine. They face the most significant mass extinction since the dinosaurs. The main reason they will disappear is because we will choose to allow it. You can be one of the people who stops it. Visit www.amphibianark.org. Learn. Donate. And tell others about it.
- 305,003 hits
- Frogster video game asks the question, why would the frog ever want to cross the road?
- First of five reasons frogs are going extinct: chytrid
- Polar bears and amphibians on the "thin ice" list
- If frogs go extinct, you'll notice
- "Disappearing Princesses" the theme of amphibian education in Tula, Russia
- Bill Murray make me laugh tonight 3 hours ago
- I get to work with awesome content creators. Work sample: binge watching The Walking Dead: youtu.be/ZaAdoFG0eUc 11 hours ago
- @ReverendStarsky you're making me feel very old but congrats on the 40 under 40 1 day ago
- RT @majastevanovich: Don't forget a person's greatest emotional need is to feel appreciated 1 day ago
- .@MichaelSamNFL gives classy 3 tweet appreciation for the opportunity he continues to pursue. 1 day ago