We don’t know how North American crayfish hopped the pond, but scientists have announced that crayfish are proliferating in the Netherlands, Denmark, and Spain — and destroying salamanders and other amphibians in the process. Humans in Europe haven’t yet developed a taste for crayfish, so there is no natural predator of the invaders. Story here. This is ironic since in America we can’t get enough of crayfish, or crawfish, as we celebrate Mardi Gras.
Why This Blog?Amphibians are our planet's canaries in the coal mine. They face the most significant mass extinction since the dinosaurs. The main reason they will disappear is because we will choose to allow it. You can be one of the people who stops it. Visit www.amphibianark.org. Learn. Donate. And tell others about it.
- 298,760 hits
- First 3 speakers at #Deaconess125 kickoff at @EdenSeminary are PKs. Just saying. 11 hours ago
- Amazing weather for Eden kickoff to #Deaconess125 So proud to participate in @deaconessfound Great to see @AHawkCollinger 11 hours ago
- @majastevanovich have fun but please come back 4 days ago
- @abyrdjr yeah yeah yeah. My kid is back home and ready to tell HK stories 4 days ago
- The Trick of Life, via @nytimes nyti.ms/1q4Glcw 2 weeks ago